Cozy meals are the best part of the winter months, especially when you make this easy one-pot Shepherds Pie recipe! Okay, maybe there is a second pot involved for the mashed potatoes but still kind of a single-pot situation.
My Mom used to make us shepherd pie all the time when we were younger. She used to make hers with corn and cheddar cheese, it might not have been authentic but it was still good!
Making Shepherds Pie
I love how easy this recipe is the make! The perfect post-work dish only requires a handful of ingredients.
I definitely prefer to use my dutch oven to make this recipe. You can cook, place in the oven, and serve all in one pot! I love it! I currently use a Cuisinart I bought from Homesense for only $80.00! Really a steal, and it’s held up so well. One day I would love to invest in the Le Creuset ones but just not now.
You can alternatively use an oven-safe baking dish and cook everything in a separate pan.
- 1 Large pot
- 1 4qt Shallow Dutch oven with lid
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 500 grams Extra-Lean Ground Beef
- 1 tbsp Worscshire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Dried Thyme
- 2 cups Yellow Onions, diced 2-3 onions
- 4 cloves Garlic, Sliced
- 2 cups Carrots, peeled and Diced 3 Carrots
- 1½ cup Vegetable Stock
Mashed Potato Topping
- 9-10 Yellow Fleshed Potatoes Peeled
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Milk
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ cup Mozzarella grated
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add peeled potatoes to the boiling water and remove once fork tender.9-10 Yellow Fleshed Potatoes
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat up the 1 Tbsp of olive oil in the dutch oven on medium heat. Once the oil has heated, add the ground beef.2 tbsp Olive Oil, 500 grams Extra-Lean Ground Beef
- To the ground beef add thyme, worscshire sauce, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Using a wooden spoon, stir the ingredients together. Once the ground beef has cooked through, remove it from the dutch oven and side aside.1 tbsp Worscshire Sauce, 1 tbsp Dried Thyme
- In the same dutch oven, heat up the remaining olive oil on medium heat. Once the oil has heated, add onions with a pinch of salt. Cook down for 2 minutes then add the garlic. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Deglaze the pan as needed with a splash of vegetable broth.2 cups Yellow Onions, diced, 4 cloves Garlic, Sliced, 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Stir in the chopped carrots to the dutch oven and cook with the onion and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.2 cups Carrots, peeled and Diced
- Add 1 cup of broth to the carrot and onion mixture. Cover and turn the heat to low-medium. Allow simmering for 10 minutes.1½ cup Vegetable Stock
- In the meantime, strain fork-tender potatoes and add them back into the same pot they were cooked in. Add butter and using an electric beater or a masher, mash the butter and potatoes together.3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- Add milk, salt and pepper to the potatoes. Beat together until fluffy.½ tsp Ground Black Pepper, 1 tsp Salt, 1 cup Milk
- Add grated cheese and mix in with a wooden spoon. Set aside.½ cup Mozzarella
- Add the cooked ground beef to the dutch oven and combine with the carrots and onion. Add the rest of the vegetable broth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off the heat and lightly press down on the ground beef mixture to create a flat surface.
- Begin to scoop the mashed potatoes on top of the beef mixture in the dutch oven. Carefully spread the mashed potatoes over the top.
- Place uncovered into the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until bubbling.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve in bowls with fresh thyme for garnish.