Soup season has finally arrived and one of my favourite soups is this beautiful Rustic Mushroom and Thyme soup. If you are a mushroom lover, this soup is a must! Thyme is such an excellent herb to cook with, I definitely recommend growing it in your garden.
Definitely a hot tip, make sure to break up some crusty bread and add it to your soup! It’s just so delicious!
Let’s Make Some Soup!
The mushrooms give such a meaty flavour and the thyme gives it that earthy rustic taste.
You can definitely make this vegan by substituting the butter for vegan butter or sub 1/4 cup of butter with 2 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
When it comes to adding the salt, I advise adding the bulk of the salting last. This is important if you use salted broth, you don’t want to over-salt your soup.
Baby King Oyster Mushroom really brings this soup to life, this is my favourite mushroom to cook with.
Rustic Mushroom and Thyme Soup
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter
- 1¾ cup Shitake Mushroom Sliced
- 3 cups Baby King Oyster Sliced
- 4 cups Cremini Mushrooms Sliced
- 1 cup Yellow Onion Diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic Diced
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups Water
- ½ tbsp Dried Thyme
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- Salt to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat add the butter to melt. After the butter has melted, add the garlic, onion, and a pinch of salt to the pot. Sauté until softened.
- Add all the mushrooms to the pot with a splash of water. Saute for 5 minutes, and use water to deglaze the pot if needed. Add the dried thyme.
- Pour broth and water into the pot and simmer on medium-low covered for 10 minutes.
- Add pepper and ½ tsp of salt and taste. Add more salt as needed.
- Serve with warm crusty sourdough bread and enjoy!