Spring is near and I wanted to make a soup that reminded me of spring and being in the garden. If you didn’t know, gardening is one of my favourite things to do. Growing your own food is such a full-filling activity. Unfortunately, I don’t grow mushrooms but I do grow onions, garlic, and thyme and I am looking forward to growing more this year!
Let’s Make Some Soup!
I love making this soup, the mushrooms add such a meaty flavour and the thyme gives it that earthy rustic taste.
You can definitely make this vegan by substituting the butter for vegan butter or sub 1/4 cup of butter with 2 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
When it comes to adding the salt, my advice is the add the bulk of the salting last. This is important if you are using salted broth, you don’t want to over-salt your soup.
Mushroom and Thyme Soup
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter
- 1¾ cup Shitake Mushroom Sliced
- 3 cups Baby King Oyster Sliced
- 4 cups Cremini Mushrooms Sliced
- 1 cup Yellow Onion Diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic Diced
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups Water
- ½ tbsp Dried Thyme
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- Salt to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat add the butter to melt. After the butter has melted, add the garlic, onion, and a pinch of salt to the pot. Sauté until softened.
- Add all the mushrooms to the pot with a splash of water. Saute for 5 minutes, use water to deglaze the pot if needed. Add the dried thyme.
- Pour in broth and water to the pot and allow to simmer on medium-low covered for 10 minutes.
- Add pepper and ½ tsp of salt and taste. Add more salt as needed.
- Serve with warm crusty sourdough bread and enjoy!