I’ve said it before and I will say it again, I love soup season! One of my favourite soups to make this season is this 30-minute delicious roasted tomato and eggplant soup.
To be honest, I wasn’t sure about the eggplant. I did not know if eggplant in soup was going to be good or not. I ended up having to google it and turns out, yes eggplant soup does exist!
Minimal Ingredients Needed for This Soup
I am usually an all-or-nothing type of soup person but it doesn’t apply to this tomato and eggplant soup. This soup requires minimal ingredients and seasoning but is probably the most delicious soup you will ever have!
What you will need:
- Tomatoes – usually in the winter I will use vine tomatoes
- Italian Eggplant – it can be difficult to find for me depending on the season
- Yellow Onions
- A Whole Garlic
- Vegetable or Chicken Stock
- Dried Thyme
- Fine Sea Salt
- Black Ground Pepper
So much flavour is extracted when you roast vegetables and if you are using good quality vegetable or chicken broth, it adds richness to the soup. The best part is when you dip a delicious grilled cheese into it!
This recipe calls for Italian eggplant for a few reasons. Large eggplant tends to be more bitter, whereas Italian eggplant is much smaller, sweeter, and has a tender flesh. The addition of eggplant gives this soup a beautiful smokey flavour that gives this soup so much depth.
Let’s Make Some Soup!
Roasted Tomato and Eggplant Soup
- 4 Tomatoes
- 4 Italian eggplants
- 2 Yellow Onions
- A whole garlic
- 1-2 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1-2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- 4 cups Vegetable or Chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Roughly chop vegetables, except garlic, and place on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle vegetables with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, lightly toss.
- Cut off the top of the garlic and place in aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. Wrap garlic with the foil and place on the baking sheet
- Roast vegetables until onion and eggplant are tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and place the roasted vegetables in a medium soup pot. Make sure you squeeze out the garlic from the peels.
- Add vegetable stock and blend using an immersion blender. For extra creaminess, stain with a medium-sized strainer to get all the seeds and peels out.
- Add thyme, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, basil leaves, and a dash of paprika.
Love This Recipe?
You might like this!