In the last two weeks, I have made this Lemon Semolina cake three times! This cake is not fussy at all, has simple ingredients, and bakes at a reasonable time. This is a great cake to bake on a weekend morning!
This cake is dense with the perfect crumble! What I love the best about this cake is the simple honey glaze that is poured over it. It soaks into the cake for a wonderful sweetness. If you really like a dense cake you can omit the baking powder. I accidentally forgot to add it once but the caked still turned out delicious.
Let’s Make Some Cake!
When I think about a semolina cake, I always think about a thin dense cake that is drenched in honey. That’s exactly what this is!
Before the cake is served, I heat up honey in the microwave for 30 seconds, stab my cake all around with a knife and then pour the hot honey all over. The cake will just soak up all the honey goodness.
I store the cake at room temperature in an airtight container for 3-4 days before moving it to the fridge. I will warm up a slice of cake in the microwave for 30 seconds and enjoy it with a coffee in the morning!
Lemon Semolina Honey Cake
- 9 inch round spring pan
- 3 Eggs
- ½ cup Full-Fat Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1-2 Lemon Zest
- 3 tbsp Ground Almonds
- ¾ cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Fine Yellow Semolina
- ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Baking Powder Optional *See notes
- ¼ cup Warmed Honey For Glaze
- Pre-heat oven to 350°C. Prepare the pan by spraying it with neutral oil and lining the bottom of the pan with a round parchment sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest together by incorporating the zest with sugar with your fingers. Add the rest of the dry ingredients.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine all the wet ingredients and whisk them together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking sheet and use a spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to slightly cool before removing the cake from the pan.
- Before serving, stab the cake with a sharp knife and pour over the hot honey. Use a spoon to spread the honey over the cake.
- Serve with tea or coffee and enjoy!