There are so many good things about the summer and fresh in-season tomatoes are one of them! Roasting tomatoes is a great way to bring out more flavour, making this Bruschetta even more delicious.
Roasting Tomatoes vs. Using Fresh Tomatoes
If you know me, you KNOW I love cherry tomatoes of all kinds! My favourite tomato that I grow every year is called Black Cherry. They are so sweet and delicious – perfect for this recipe! Of course, you can use normal red cherry tomatoes, I used a multi-colour pint of tomatoes in this recipe.
When you roast the tomatoes you instantly bump up the flavour profile of your bruschetta. Roasting tomatoes caramelize the sugars, making it all so delicious!
Assembling the Bruschetta
I find the key to this recipe is rubbing a garlic clove all over each toasted bread slice! Forget chopping up the garlic, when you rub a garlic clove on toasted bread (make sure it’s peeled) it just melts into the bread! SO GOOD!
Adding the ricotta cheese is definitely optional, but it’s worth the extra step to add that creaminess to the bruschetta.
Classic tomato bruschetta is topped with basil but I am telling you Thyme is THE herb! I am just obsessed with thyme I have to put it on everything.
Let’s Make Bruschetta!
Roasted Tomato Bruschetta
- 1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes washed and dried
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
Assembling the Bruchetta
- 4 Slices Sourdough Bread
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/2 Cup Ricotta
- Fresh Thyme
- Balsamic Glaze
- Flaked Salt
- Pre-heat oven to 425°
- In a baking dish, add the tomatoes, Olive Oil, salt and black pepper. Mix together and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the tomatoes start bursting.
- Remove tomatoes from the oven and using a fork, breakdown down some of the tomatoes.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet, and brush on olive oil on both sides.
- Place in the oven and broil on HI for 1-2 minutes per side.
- Remove the bread from the oven and rub a clove of garlic on all slices.
- Add about 1-2 tbsp of ricotta to each slice and spread evenly.
- Spoon the roasted tomatoes on each slice. Garnish with fresh thyme, balsamic glaze and a pinch of flaked salt.