…Buttermilk not required! What? You might be saying, hear me out – how many of us have buttermilk on hand on a regular basis? Not many! Keeping it simple is what I strive to do, so in this case, we only need milk and vinegar to make these delicious fluffy pancakes!
When I was a kid, my favourite thing to do on a Saturday morning was to make pancakes for my family. I used to go to my mom while she was still asleep to get the recipe. When I want to treat somebody, pancakes and waffles are always on the top of the list! Especially when they are topped with strawberry compote!
Forget about the maple syrup, get out those strawberries and make an easy compote! This is pancake UPLEVELING my friends, I even added some coconut whip to the top! Delicious!
The best thing about compote you only need 2 ingredients – Strawberries and Coconut Sugar. Brown Sugar also works here.
Stewing berries with some sugar just brings out wonderful flavours and makes such a great addition to your breakfast! You can even use this compote for oatmeals, yogurts and cakes!
Making Buttermilk-less Pancakes
You most likely have all these ingredients at the ready:
- Vinegar (I used Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Unsalted Butter
- Avocado Oil (Vegetable oil can work here)
- Unbleached Flour
- Baking Powder
- Raw Cane Sugar
The batter comes together in less 10 minutes! I love this recipe because there is no fuss! Don’t get me started on the taste! The perfect combination of buttery goodness with a slight hit of sweetness from the sugar.
Treat yourself and loved ones with this breakfast! Trust me they will want it again and again!
Easy Buttermilk Pancakes
- Cast Iron Pan
- Measuring Cups
- Shot Glass Measuring Cup
- 1 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour Sifted
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Raw Sugar
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar or White Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter melted
- 1 large Egg
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- All the vinegar to the milk and allow to curdle for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients to a large mixing bowl, and mix well.
- Add the dry to the wet and mix until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Add butter to a warmed non-stick pan on medium heat and add 1/4 cup of the batter and lightly spread it out if needed.
- Cook about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Stack those pancakes and top with compote and any other toppings you like.