Truthfully, in Morocco is not called Shakshuka, it’s just called Eggs in Tomato. My Grandma used to make this for us all the time with little meatballs when we came to visit her in Morocco.
This is a dish you would find throughout North Africa and the Mediterranean. There is a Turkish version, an Italian version, a middle eastern version, and plenty more. Just goes to show you how interconnected a lot of cultures are.
If you are looking for an easy breakfast or lunch or even dinner, then you have to try this!
The ingredient list is simple and might be in your pantry right now!
I always make sure to have canned tomatoes on hand so I can make this anytime, especially on those low-key days you just want to have something warm and easy.
Ingredients you will need:
- Olive Oil
- Chili Flakes
- Whole Peel or Crushed Tomatoes
I usually like to make this dish a bit spicy but that is definitely optional!
Also, do your best not to overcook the eggs when poaching! The best part is when you dip your bread in the dish and get that jammy egg yolk!
Eat with a lovely toasted rustic bread and enjoy!
Moroccan Eggs with Tomato
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- pinch Chili Flakes
- 3 cloves Garlic Chopped
- 1 cup Yellow Onion Diced
- 1 796ml Can Whole Peel or Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Parsely Chopped
- 4-6 Eggs
- In a medium pan, heat olive oil and chili flakes over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion, and salt. Sautée until onions have softened.
- Add the can of Whole Peeled or Crushed tomatoes to the pan. Mix and cover the pan, allow the tomatoes to simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes to soften.
- If using whole tomatoes, crush them on the side of the pan with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add the Parsley, Cumin, and Paprika to the tomatoes. Simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes, uncovered. Taste to see if more salt is needed.
- To poach the eggs in the tomatoes, crack an egg into a small bowl then gently add on top of the tomatoes. Repeat for each egg. Cover the pan for 5-7 minutes to allow the eggs to cook.
- Once the whites of the eggs have cooked, remove the pan from the heat and serve warm with crusty bread!