Lemon + Ricotta + Fig + Smoked Honey…
Let me tell you how delicious this combination is – IT’S DELICIOUS! They are moist, lemony, and did I say delicious?
The Ricotta Frosting with the Smoked Honey is just Chef’s Kiss! Have I not told you my obsession with smoked items?! Well, it all started with my love for Smoked Gouda…then smoked paprika, then smoked salmon and THEN when I saw that Rosewood Wines (not sponsored) had smoked Honey…I just HAD to! I put it in my coffee, I eat it with a spoon out of the jar, I use it for cheese boards – I just love it!
Back to the Cupcakes…Do you need to make the Frosting? No, but you should. Figs are not in season? You can sub for another fruit. Don’t have smoked honey? Use non-smoked honey.
Here’s a hot tip friends USE A SCALE, you can find one HERE. Baking + Scales are best friends – soulmates even. It just makes life easy – we don’t need life to be harder…
How to Make Lemon Cupcakes (In Pictures)
How to make the cupcake in pictures! Let me know in the comments if you find this helpful!
Lemon Cupcakes with Ricotta Frosting
- 4 Eggs At room temperature
- 250 g Sugar 1-1/4 cups
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Zest of 2 Lemons
- 125 ml Milk At room temperature
- 125 ml Orange Juice At room temperature
- 200 ml Avocado Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 300 g All-Purpose Flour 2 cups + 2 tbsp
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Baking Soda 15 g
- 1/4 cup Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Full-Fat Ricotta
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Icing Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350F – I used convection bake.
- Prep Muffin tray with muffin liners
- In a large mixing bowl add – eggs, sugar and vanilla. Using an electric beater, whisk for 4-5 minutes to create a light and airy mixture.
- Add in to the bowl – oil, milk, orange juice, and zest. Mix until well combined.
- Sift in your flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until well combined. Batter should have a light consistency.
- Fill liners with ¼ of batter or fill ¾ of the liner
- Place in the oven on the middle rack and back for 10-15 minutes. Remember, not all ovens are created equally. Bake until tooth pick comes out clean
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, you want to refrigerate the cupcakes to chill before applying the frosting
- Add cream cheese to a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment or in a large bowl and beat using a hand mixer. Beat on high until fluffy looking, about 2-3 minutes
- Add the ricotta, heavy cream, icing sugar, and vanilla extract, to the bowl, then beat on high until the mixture looks thick and holds soft peaks, about 4-5 minutes
- Add Ricotta Frosting onto cooled cupcakes and spread out with a spatula, then top with sliced Figs (or fruit of choice) and Smoked Honey. Serve immediately, or keep in fridge cover and apply before serving.
Just remember, all flours are milled differently, ovens bake differently, even how high you are from sea level.
If you make this, rate it and share your feedback in the comments below! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @theslottedspoons